I wanted to add the applique to the side of a bonnet so when I made my heart template I made sure there would be at least half an inch on either side of the finished applique so that it would not get caught in my 1/4 inch seam allowance when making the actual bonnet. You will want to take this consideration when making your heart template.
1. Here are my two hearts, they will be sewn onto the main body of the bonnet on the center of one side. I cut them so that the width did not exceed the width of the body piece of fabric (seen center).
2. Pin your coordinating fabric heart into the desired location.
3. I used a 1/2" seam allowance around the inside edge of the raw edge of the heart.
4. Carefully cut around the inside of the heart leaving around 1/8" of fabric, carefully and slowly.
5. I used pinking shears to trim my inside edge, careful not to cut through my seam.
6. After turning your fabric over and preparing to press, clip your fabric at the inside point of the top of the heart.
7. Carefully press your fabric to the other side, take care around the curves.
8. View of the right side of the fabric after pressing.
9. Lay your contrasting fabric heart underneath your main fabric piece.
10. Pin. Go nuts!
11. Topstitch all the way around and trim any excess.
12. Continue with your project using your heart applique pattern piece. Voila!